How It Works
It’s Simple. We Meet. We Vote. We Donate.
- Each Member commits to donating $100 per event, four times a year for a total of $400.
- Events are conducted in one hour or less.
- Each event will include an update on how the funds donated at a previous meeting were used by the recipient charity.
- Any member may nominate a charity for consideration but must be done 1 week (5 business days) prior to meeting either online or by emailing a downloadable form in order to confirm eligibility.
- The nominating members of three randomly selected organizations or person of their choosing will make a brief, informal presentation (no PowerPoint) about the organization to the group.
- Each registered member may vote (by ballot) for one of the three charities. The charity with the most votes will be the recipient charity.
- Each member will write a check for $100 to the recipient charity for a total group donation of $15,000 or more. Members may also utilize our online donation process found here.
- Members who did not vote for the selected organization agree to make their donation regardless. Members can, of course, feel free to donate their money or time privately to the other two charities if they wish.
- Donors will receive a tax receipt directly from the charity.
- Members who are unable to attend an event are expected to give their check to another member to deliver on their behalf and can bring a proxy ballot for their vote. They may also choose to utilize our online donation option through Grapevine.
- Charities under consideration must serve the Penobscot Valley region and provide individual tax receipts directly to contributing members.
- A charity not selected at one meeting may be submitted again at a subsequent meeting.
- A recipient charity is not eligible for future consideration for the next 24 months but the nominating member may submit the name of another charity.
- The recipient charity must agree not to use or give out member information to any third parties except for tax purposes.
Please visit our FAQ page to find answers to all your questions!